Since we have lost sooo many notable TV actors this year, I hereby submit my Top 10 List of Shows I wish would have died in 2016.
- The Real Housewives of EVERYWHERE. It’s just women portraying the absolute WORST of who they are. It benefits no one.
- Love and Hip Hop. I mean, what is the PURPOSE of this show?
- R&B and Hollywood Divas. I do not want to see washed up singers and actresses fight and scratch each others eyes out for exposure. Not all exposure is good exposure.
- Late Night with Seth Myers. I cannot stand him. The show is so bland and Myers is not funny to me at all.
- The Gary Owen Show. I have tried and tried to like his comedy. Weak jokes and silly situations about his interracial family don’t make him funny. I don’t know what the writers think they can do to make this show remotely interesting.
- Superstore. Tell the truth… when you go to Walmart or Costco, do you think about what happens among the employees who work there? No? I thought so.
- The Bachelor/Bachelorette ABC thinks the only people out here searching for a mate is White. This should have been cancelled a long time ago.
- Bull. The show should be called “Unrealistic Bullshit”. Who can afford to hire some quack doctor to analyze a Jury? Court is expensive and average people don’t have that kind of access.
- The Detour. I liked Jason Jones when he was on The Daily Show but this sitcom needs to detour into a black hole.
- Once Upon a Time, Quantico, and Conviction on ABC. Why you ask? Because they air on Sunday night and I want Sunday Fun and Games night back! Get Craig Robinson to replace Michael Strahan as host of The 100,000 Pyramid, reboot Password or Joker’s Wild (because ENOUGH of Steve Harvey and Family Feud!) and give me more of Alec Baldwin’s Match Game.
My New Year’s Eve date since I was old enough to stay up late was “Dick Clark’s New Years Rockin Eve“. My sister and I watched every year. It wasn’t my favorite show. It never had enough diversity to satisfy my musical tastes. For example, in 1976 “Disco Lady” by Johnnie Taylor was one of the hottest tunes on R&B radio along with “Boogie Fever” by the Silvers. Yet, Dick Clark had KC and the Sunshine band (shake, shake, shake your booty), The Average White Band (Pick Up The Pieces) along with Neil Sedaka and Freddie Fender. I didn’t mind KC and the Sunshine band but my 13 year old self would have loved to see Johnnie Taylor belt out Disco Lady or The Sylvers doing Boogie Fever (especially my crush Foster) on a national stage.
These days, you can ring in the New Year with Carson Daly on NBC, who has decent musical knowledge and diverse artists performing. Pitbull on Fox has been giving us a tropical vibe in Miami, while for the last 5 years, BET has been giving us “106 and Party” which I don’t think is for anyone over the age of 30. I propose we add one more special for grown folks. Can we get an annual R&B New Year’s special featuring folks who can SANG? People who SANG make you feel what they are singing. So,can we get a special with Babyface, Fantasia, Eric Benet, maybe a performance by the Dance Theatre of Harlem, American Idol runner up LaPortia Renae (whose new single Good Woman is FIYAH!) or violinist Damien Escobar? I know ratings play a big part, so add Tracee Ellis Ross or Questlove as the host. Getting sponsors shouldn’t be a problem. Wouldn’t you watch that?
Happy 2017 everybody!